Frequently Asked Questions


FAQ for Field Education

Why do I need to do Field Ed?

Field Ed is an important part of the holistic Christian Higher Education Providence offers. This is where you get the opportunity to deepen your own understanding of what it means to be a servant in attitude and action. You will learn to give of yourself in the church, in society, and in everyday living. Serving in a church, para-church, or community organization will help you develop your own personal gifts and skills as well as a personal philosophy of service.

In addition, the accrediting body of Providence University College requires that all graduates must complete practical Christian service as a graduation requirement. You cannot graduate without the required number of Field Ed credits.

Most students are already serving somewhere. In many cases, Field Ed simply gives you credit for what you are already doing.

How do I register for Field Ed?

You cannot register for Field Ed online or through the Registrar’s office as you can with other courses. Registering for Field Ed simply consists of handing in your completed assignments to the Director of Field Education (2nd Floor - 2A20) at the completion of each unit. It is you responsibility to take the initiative to arrange placements if they want to receive credit for Field Ed.

Where do I get the evaluation form?

A printable file is on the website. Alternatively you can pick up an evaluation form outside at the Field Ed Director’s office. There will usually be some right by the door.

Can I get gas money for Field Ed?

Providence does not provide vehicles for Field Ed use, but students using their own vehicles to travel to a Field Education placement, may be reimbursed with a flat rate based on the location of their placement if they meet the following criteria:

  1. Travel with two or more additional passengers who are also meeting Field Education requirements for the trip. 
  2. Hand in a travel reimbursement application form. Request a reimbursement form from the Field Ed Director.
  3. The forms must be completed and handed in to the Director of Field Education before final exams if the student wishes to receive reimbursement for the semester. 

What are FEOD and SMOD?

FEOD is a Field Ed Opportunity Day where many organizations set up booths in the SLC to show you the opportunities available to you for Field Ed. If you are looking for a Field Ed placement then this is the day to find one.

SMOD is the Summer Ministry Opportunity Day, where many camps set up booths in the SLC giving you a chance to learn about the opportunities to spend time at camp and earning Field Ed credits at the same time.

Got Questions?

Contact the Director of Field Education

Cynthia Russell
Director of Field Education





10 College Crescent
Otterburne, Manitoba, Canada, R0A 1G0
Phone: (204) 433-7488 or (800) 668-7768
Fax: (204) 433-7158
Copyright @ 2015
Providence University College & Theological Seminary   
Privacy Policy