The Work of the Board
The Board shall consist of those persons elected by the Corporation from time to time for a four-year term with no term limitations. In addition, the President, a representative from the Senate from among its elected members, a representative from the Cabinet, and one student elected by the student bodies from each of the University College and the Seminary shall be members of the Board. All members, elected and ex-officio, shall be members with vote.
View the Current Governors.
The Board, working with the President where applicable, is responsible for the stewardship of the Institution, its purpose, viability, vitality, and integrity.
The Board of Governors is responsible for the stewardship of the institution and thus works to maintain the viability, vitality, and integrity of Providence University College and Seminary. The Board delegates certain functions to the Senate and to the Cabinet.
In particular the Board retains oversight responsibility for:
- The mission, purposes, and integrity of the Institution with respect to Governance, the Covenant of Faith, and the Covenant Community Life
- Appointment and support of the President and executive management including their remuneration and benefits
- The President’s performance
- All governing policies
- Collaboration with the Cabinet and Senate to develop and maintain longer-term strategic plans/directions for the Institution
- The establishment or termination of academic programs
- Program outcomes
- Good institutional management including approval of the annual budget
- Adequate resources including sufficient enrollments and revenue
- The preservation of institutional independence
- Relating the Institution to the community and the community to the Institution
- Serving as an occasional office of appeal such as in cases of student discipline
Committees of the Board
The Board of Governors meets in October, November, March, and June. The regular work of the Board is accomplished through committees of the Board. Members of these committees come from the Board and from employees. Each committee operates under a charter approved by the Board.
The Leadership Committee serves the Board by overseeing the strategic planning process, maintaining the integrity of the Institution, and acting on behalf of the Board between meetings and in emergency situations.
The Governance Committee serves the Board by reviewing and developing the overall governance and management of the institution including Board effectiveness.
The Audit and Operations Committee serves the Board by exercising oversight responsibility for facilities, operations, budget and financial affairs of the Institution.
The Human Resources and Compensation Committee serves the Board by exercising oversight responsibility for the development, maintenance, and institutional compliance to fair human resource and compensation policies and procedures.
The Student Life Committee serves the Board by exercising oversight responsibility for all aspects of student life including the granting of degrees, student development, and athletics.
The Marketing and Development Committee serves the Board by exercising oversight responsibility for student recruitment, donor development planning, and revenue generation.